By February 1916, the rebuilt plant was operating at full capacity. Four new buildings replaced the orginal manufacturing facilities - the weave shed, a storehouse, a spinning mill, and a boiler-house, all of which were built with reinforced concrete construction, brick panels, and wired-glass windows. The plant's source of power moved to electricity instead of the original steam. In 1953, the company relocated to South Carolina to take advantage of cheaper labor costs. The site was renamed the Shetland Industrial Park; when no manufacturing firms remained in the complex, the site became known by its current name, Shetland Park.
Buildings - Repair and reconstruction (Salem, Mass.); Naumkeag Steam Cotton Company, Salem, Mass.; Redevelopment, Urban; Shetland Industrial Park (Salem, Mass.); Shetland Park (Salem, Mass.)
The Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts
Requests for permission to publish material from this collection must be submitted in writing to the Reference Librarian in the Phillips Library at the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, Massachusetts.